Mary Ann R. Burmester
Real Results for Real Families
Mary Ann R. Burmester has been a lawyer for more than 25 years. She’s also been divorced twice (once with custody issues and once without). With this experience, she brings extensive professional and practical experience to your divorce or custody concerns. Born and raised on Long Island, NY, she moved to New Mexico in 1989 shortly after graduating from Washington & Lee University School of Law in 1987.
Ms. Burmester practices state-wide in all areas of family law, including divorce, child custody and support, property and debt division, alimony, enforcement or modification of orders and domestic violence restraining orders. She earned a Masters of Gerontology in 2007 from Webster University and with this degree helps grandparents with custody cases and couples age 50+ going through divorce (“divorce in the golden years”).
Prior to opening NM Divorce & Custody Law LLC, Ms. Burmester was a partner and shareholder of Atkinson & Kelsey, P.A. Before that, she was the Deputy Litigation Director and Managing Attorney (Las Vegas, NM office) of New Mexico Legal Aid. She served as the Managing Attorney of the Lawyer Referral for the Elderly Program (LREP) and the Director of the Public & Legal Services Department of the State Bar of New Mexico, during which time she earned her M.A. in Gerontology. From 1997-2005, she had her own firm, Baker-Randall & Associates, which served family law clients throughout the state.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2014 to present
- Family Law, Supreme Court of New Mexico – Board of Legal Specialization, 2000-2005 and 2011 to present
- Family Law, NITA Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, 2012
- “Developing Trends in Non-Parent Custody and Visitation Cases”, American Bar Association’s GP Solo Magazine, Oct/Nov, 2001
- “Dividing Federal Employee Retirement Benefits for Divorcing Spouses”, American Bar Association’s GPSolo Magazine, July/August, 2000
- “Custody and Timesharing”, Bridges Magazine, June/July, 2000
- “The Parental Relationship After The Divorce: Communicating and Cooperating With Your Ex-Spouse”, Parenting New Mexico Magazine, June, 2000
- “Child Support – Facts & Myths”, Parenting New Mexico Magazine, May, 2000
- “Custody & Timesharing”, Parenting New Mexico Magazine, April, 2000
- “Child Support and Disabled Children”, Bridges Magazine, March/April, 2000
- “Children’s Reactions to Divorce – Short and Long Term Effects”, Parenting New Mexico Magazine, March, 2000
Classes / Seminars – samples of trainings taught
- Business Valuations, Annual Family Law Retreat, Denver, CO, 2013
- Child Custody Procedures: Form by Form, NBI, Albuquerque, NM, 2013
- QDRO Basics, NM Legal Aid, 2012
- Co-Presenter, “Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements: What’s Love Got to Do With It?”, State Bar of New Mexico CLE at Sea, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Co-Adjunct Professor, Family Law Drafting, UNM Law School, 2012
- “Rule 123 Financial Disclosures and Miscellaneous Judicial Procedures/Preferences”, Annual Family Law Retreat, Chicago, IL, 2012
- Panel Speaker, “Boomer Concerns: The Health Care Gap, Long Term Care, and Financial Concerns Later in Life”, Family Law Institute, Albuquerque, NM, 2011
- QDRO Basics, DNA People’s Legal Services Annual Conference, Ganado, AZ, Conducted CLE, 2010
- “The Human Tsunami: How the Baby Boomers Will Impact Legal Services”, Equal Access to Justice Conference, Minneapolis, MN , 2008
- The Resource Center Training, Santa Fe, NM, Aging & Long-Term Services Dept. (Jan.), 2007 – 2008
- “Powers of Attorney and Adult Guardianship”, National Home & Community-Based Services Conference, Albuquerque, NM , 2007
- Presented CLE on Bankruptcy and Elders, State Bar Annual Convention, Ruidoso, NM, 2007
- Conducted Training on Elder Abuse, NM Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Albuquerque, NM, 2007
- Conducting Training on Powers of Attorney and Adult Guardianship, Aging Network Training (ANTs), Taos, NM (April), 2007 and Albuquerque, NM (Nov) 2007
- Conducted Training on Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, Eight Northern Indian Pueblos Conference, Santa Fe, NM, 2006
Honors and Awards
- NM Business Weekly’s “Women of Influence” Honoree , 2012
- NM Aging & Long-Term Services Department’s “Public Service Award”, Lawyer Referral for the Elderly Program, 2008
- Recipient of First Annual NM Business Weekly “40 Under 40” Award, 2000
- Recipient of First Annual UNM Anderson Schools of Business “Up & Comers” Award, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- American Bar Associates, Family Law and Solo Small Firm Sections
- Collaborative Law, International, New Mexico, and Albuquerque Practice Groups, Member, 2011-Present
- State Bar of New Mexico, Elder Law Section, Chair for 2015, Member of the Board of Directors 2007 – 2015
- State Bar of New Mexico, Family Law Section Chair for 2015 and Member of the Board of Directors 2012 – present.
- State Bar of New Mexico, Bridge the Gap Mentor, 2012 & 2014
- Tri-County Family Justice Center, Board of Directors, Domestic Violence Service Provider, 2010-2011
- New Mexico Women’s Bar Association, Past President, 2003 and Board Member, 1998-2003.
- State Bar of New Mexico, Member, Committee on Women and the Legal Profession
- Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, Member and volunteer Ambassador 2015 – Present.
Select Pro Bono Activities
- NM 2nd Judicial District Court – Peter H. Johnstone Pro Se Day volunteer mediator for divorce and custody cases
- NM 13th Judicial District – Court Clinic for Pro Se Parties
Contact Mary Ann R. Burmester
If you are looking for a family law attorney with professional and common sense experience helping families in New Mexico, look no further. Mary Ann and her team are dedicated to helping you resolve your family legal issues whether it is divorce, custody, or pre-marital legal counseling. Contact us today.